[Novalug] Success: identifying memory

Theodore Ruegsegger gruntly@gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:51:15 EST 2008

Igor wrote:
> ... I looked around for a Linux equivalent and
> found that the ultimate boot CD has DIMM_ID on it
> (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) - it might do the trick.

Alas, DIMM_ID said my chipset was not one it supported, but thanks for
the pointer to the Ultimate Boot CD; a handy thing to have anyway.

> That and cracking
> open the box and actually looking at the ram inside might help..

If only it were that easy--all it said was DDR 266 256MB. Hey, lots of
memory doesn't say anything at all, so I guess that's something.

Fortunately, in the middle of the motherboard was printed K7S5A.
Googling established that this was in fact the name of the
motherboard, made by Elite Group. And Crucial's memory finder
recognized that board, after a quick resort to dmidecode to determine
the version number. Surprisingly cheap: $17.99 for 512MB. I was all
set to order a pair when I found a 512MB stick in my leftover-memory
box. So the machine now has 3/4 GB which is probably enough for our
needs.

Thanks to all for your valuable advice.

Ted