[Novalug] Open office and Neo Office and database questions

Jeff Stoner leapfrog@freeshell.org
Tue Dec 9 11:16:10 EST 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:

> The sort of database I am speaking of is the sort where you could set up a
> name and address database and simply do a input GUI and generate cross
> indices for any type of entry without having to take a semester
> adult education course before being able to do something. So far the
> tutorials I have found for the Linux desktop databases have been too
> basic to get to how to import stuff and I do not want to do
> re-entry typing.

SQLite is probably the best route. By itself, it isn't going to be for you
but there are front-ends to it. Visit
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools for front-ends to
SQLite. Kexi looks promising for what you may be after
(http://kexi-project.org)

No, I've not used Kexi nor SQLite directly (I've used it indirectly as a
back-end to web apps.)

--Jeff

"I am not available for comment"