[Novalug] OT: Recession coffee

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:34:43 EST 2008

I changed my caffine habbit over a year ago when I realized what I was
paying for the swill served at work (too much) or to join the office coffee
co-op (cheap but the quality was suspect depending on who bothered to make
the last pot).  I rejected buying at a local DD or $B as I bike commute and
didn't want to go out of my way.

I buy my beans at Trader Joe's, store in the freezer, grind them the night
before, prep the coffee maker and have a cup ready for breakfast.  The rest
goes into my 24oz Nissan Thermos (that fits snugly in my bike's water bottle
holder) for the ride to work.  I recommend the Nissan Thermos models - they
DO NOT LEAK, are rugged (mine's been dropped a few times from a bike at
15-20 mph - the dents and scuffs add character) and on occasion, has kept
coffee warm and drinkable all day.

I have several college friends who are TRUE coffee afficianados and can
discuss chapter and verse the merits of different roasting styles, beans,
grinders, and brewing methods, and after years of research, have identified
their preferred local and internet-order vendors.  Coffee is WAY more
important to them than religion, OS wars, editors, Campy vs Shimano vs SRAM,
HD vs BMW, or the underware BHO wears.  (one of them reacts very badly to
any caffine, so their research in real decaffinated coffee was considerable
and their life sort of depends on it.)

Steve