[Novalug] Bots and Linux (was Re: bots question (Scott Musman))

Roger W. Broseus RogerB@bronord.com
Wed Dec 3 07:58:42 EST 2008

On Tue, December 2, 2008 11:17 pm, novalug-request@calypso.tux.org wrote:
>    9. Re: bots question (Scott Musman)
> ------------------------------
> From: Scott Musman <musman@aug-sys.com>
> Subject: Re: [Novalug] bots question

[snips]
> Linux is currently mainly a target for being used as a bot-controller
> rather than a bot client, but the trend is increasingly that 'nix boxes
> are just as likely to become part of bot networks as windoze machines.
> Sad but true..

So what should "end users" be doing to protect them selves? What is/are
the route(s) of compromise, particularly if we are not running servers?
Attachments to emails are common attack routes for Winder$. FWIW, I've
never been infected on the Win side with the exception of having the
Chernobyl virus factory-installed on an IBM machine. So, I pretty much
trust internet security / antivirus suites on the Win side.

Do the firewalls, etc., "built-in" to, e.g., Ubuntu, protect? That's all a
black hole of ignorance to me.
--
Roger Broseus
   RogerB@bronord.com