[Novalug] Ubuntu Heron and automounting USB disks

nick@hackermonkey.com nick@hackermonkey.com
Sun Apr 27 14:19:07 EDT 2008

I had this problem with Gutsy but I didn't worry much about it. Now that I
upgraded to Hardy, the importance has increased and I need to solve it.

I have a few USB devices, namely two USB hard disks and two USB thumb drives.
These are what I use most often. One drive I have set so when I plug it in it
comes up at specific mount points and my user can move files to/from etc. The
thumb drives work the same way.

The new USB drive that I am trying to comes up as /media/usb0, /media/disk and
/media/disk-1. (there are 3 partitions) The problem is that the regular user
cannot write or unmount it. I have removed the mount points under media and
they were recreated. I changed the ownership of the mountpoints but that only
works until the drive is unplugged/replugged.

Where does Ubuntu get its automount information? I know I can click the icon and
change info on the mountpoints but that only works if the user has permissions.
Where does that information get written?

Thanks

Nick