[Novalug] Making a bootable USB stick???

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Sat Apr 12 10:12:05 EDT 2008

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, jerry w wrote:

> rich and a few of us were talking about the idea after the
> novalug meeting in relation to FOSE use.
[...]
> so those are some considerations and issues. if giving out a
> CDR next year at FOSE that people can put on a personally
> purchased usb key (and a few to raffle? and show it works with
> booth hardware) plus being able to use the live cd and install
> regular like ubuntu does, we might have something really really
> good...

 	Why not buy a few and sell them at cost? Is there any
FOSE rule against that?

> personally, my rather new 1-2 year old laptop Averatec doesn't
> boot from USB with an Award? BIOS and most low end / older
> machines won't afaict, but if i can find ones that will
> (oasises), that would be kewl to try as i've wanted to for a
> long time (carry less stuff ;-} and run linux wherever) but not
> spent the time figuring it out.  and fedora spins sound easy
> enough as beartooth 'testifies'...

 	Footnote by way of caveat (which I shudda thunka
mentioning) : I put /boot on the stick, and accept the limitation
that I have to be able to tell the machine I put it into to boot
from USB. Works here. But maybe it'll fail more places that
I'd've thought; YMMV.

--
Beartooth Gerontoflatulocrat,
Cantankerous Codger