[Novalug] Making a bootable USB stick???

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 07:08:58 EDT 2008

rich and a few of us were talking about the idea
after the novalug meeting in relation to FOSE use.

I'll venture to say that _most_/many of the people coming
to the FOSE booth were saying, I can't/don't run linux
at the office, but i run it at home..

so to get over that hurdle, iirc, rich was talking about
also running it in VMWare or some virtualization software
at the office desktop.  so the scenerio might be
i'm at the office, didn't want to carry/lug in a personal laptop
with linux on it, and want to do some linux stuff during
lunch/after hour(s)..  here is my pen drive that i got through security
and i'm going to code/learn/hack for a bit during my off
time.  systems security might not care (and they are making
the environment more linux likely the more corporate
and hostile they make the winblows mindset...)
about what runs in an emulator/ boot from usb
minus the network traffic (unplug eth?), versus installing 'rogue'
software like Firefox, Open Office, etc...

so those are some considerations and issues.
if giving out a CDR next year at FOSE that people
can put on a personally purchased usb key (and a few
to raffle? and show it works with booth hardware)
plus being able to use the live cd and install regular
like ubuntu does, we might have something really
really good...

personally, my rather new 1-2 year old laptop
Averatec doesn't boot from USB with an Award?
BIOS and most low end / older machines won't
afaict, but if i can find ones that will (oasises),
that would be kewl to try as i've wanted to
for a long time (carry less stuff ;-} and
run linux wherever) but not spent the time
figuring it out.  and fedora spins sound easy
enough as beartooth 'testifies'...

hth,
jerry
as he whips out his new 8 gig microcenter
usb key ;-} and spends the weekend trying
to figure it out, while ignoring preparing taxes...
;-}
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Beartooth <karhunhammas@lserv.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Rich Goodwin wrote:
>

> > Anyone done this?? Suggested do's/don'ts???
> >
> > I have an 8GB stick ($30 from Microcenter) and plan to try to build a
> bootable stick soon... thus recommendations are appreciated
> >

>         Man, I wish I could get them for anywhere near that here!
>
>         With both an XP thinkpad and Puppee (on an EeePC), I simply stuck
> the stick in the machine, put a DVD of the latest respin of Fedora 8 into a
> drive (external USB for the EeePC, of course), booted to it, and told
> Anaconda *very* *care*-*full*-*lee* to install to the stick.
>
>         In both cases, I now need only put the stick into the machine, make
> sure the BIOS is set to boot from the stick, and boot straight into Fedora.
>
>         No sweat, no strain, no brain, no pain.
>
>  --
>  Beartooth Gerontoflatulocrat,
>  Cantankerous Codger