[Novalug] Why? And More4 to the Point, What Do I Do Next?

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Fri Apr 11 22:48:10 EDT 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 07:10:40 pm William Bean wrote:
> Folks,
>
> BACKGROUND
> I have been using computers since the PDP8 (yes, I'm that old) and have
> done a bit of very small scale programming in FOCAL, BASIC, FORTRAN, and
> dBase.  I am familiar with MS-DOS, W95, W98, W2000, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
> Solaris.  I currently run Open BSD 4.2 on our household server and Windows
> 2000 on our desktops.
>
> I have tried to use Linux.  I have successfully installed every major
> distribution on some machine or another, and I successfully compiled my own
> installation from source to dual boot (with Windows 95) a Toshiba T1900
> (486) with a 120MB HD and 20MB RAM. Yet, despite great eagerness to do so,
> I have yet to find a USEFUL 'kitchen-sink' Linux desktop (i.e comparable to
> Windows 2000).

First question:

What is the area where you live? It sounds like you need some hands on help to
get over this hump.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.