[Novalug] Comments about Media Vault

Michael Gurski novalug@gurski.org
Sun Apr 6 03:25:30 EDT 2008

Excerpts from Rich Goodwin's message of Sat Apr 05 17:22:50 -0400 2008:
> John mentioned HP's Medial Vault at today's NOVALUG meeting.  Haveing
> just read the Gizmodo review
> (http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+as
> s-little-penguin), I will go back to the Dlink DNS-323 NAS
> (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2091770,00.asp).  from an appliance
> standpoint, this one is outstanding.  It also only has two bays.  The cool
> It is more than the Media Vault but doubles the capacity, does Gigabit
> Ethernet, functions as a file.print server.  Down side? Does not
> function as a toaster - I guess that would be the IPv6 version!

http://bash.org/?854608

More to the point, the extremetech link you provided states:

   While you can certainly use JBOD or RAID 0 to create a really large
   volume, the D-Link box is one of the lowest-cost units on the
   market with gigabit Ethernet that supports RAID 1. From our
   perspective, that's the recommended configuration and the one we
   used for testing.

So, if you use the same configuration that they suggest, you get...the
same capacity as the way the HP one is configured in the gizmodo link,
with one "permanent" and one "removable" drive, which the author also
set up as a RAID1.  Who also neglects to mention if that's the ONLY
way to set it up. [Checking the blurb on Amazon, it looks like it CAN
do at least JBOD, and I suspect RAID0 too] Of course, if you follow
the bash.org quote above or re-read the extremetech quote, smart money
says it's the "only" way to go, in this case if you want to protect
your data....  Both seem to also have gigE, so I fail to see how
that's an "advantage" of the Dlink over the HP...

--
Michael A. Gurski (opt. [first].)[last]@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~[last]
1024R/39B5BADD PGP: 34 93 A9 94 B1 59 48 B7  17 57 1E 4E 62 56 45 70