[Novalug] Teaching Computers Science

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Wed Sep 26 09:47:03 EDT 2007

My daughter is thinking about doing a computer science major in college. We've
been looking over a lot of schools and I'm noticing a certain lack of
consistency in the way it's taught.

Some schools have CS as a separate major, while others include it under math
or engineering. A few courses appear to be consistent from school to school,
but the programming languages vary wildly.

I've found several schools that use Visual Basic. Others use Pascal. Most
include C/C++. A few include assembler, but most do not. I've even found one
that teaches COBOL.

Anyone have some thoughts about what ought to be included?

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.