[Novalug] Updated: DC ACM Lecture Monday October 1st, "Building the Internet" with Dr. Stephen Crocker

W. L. Fielder winter@frostmarch.com
Mon Sep 24 23:49:42 EDT 2007

Dear Friends of the DC Chapter of the ACM:

The DC Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), in
collaboration with the student ACM chapter at George Washington
University, proudly presents the October 2007 Lecture:

Speaker:  Dr. Stephen D. Crocker

In the formative days of the ARPANET, Dr. Crocker developed the key
technologies, processes and organizations that continue to support the
Internet today. At the University of California, Los Angeles, the first
node on the ARPANET, he organized the Network Working Group across the
network’s many sites. He also led the suite of protocols that ran in
ARPANET host computers, including the first host-host protocol, the
Network Control Protocol. NCP was used in the first 12 years of the
Internet’s history and was the basis of subsequent host protocols, most
notably, the Transmission Control Protocol. In 1969, Dr. Crocker
initiated the “Requests for Comments” series of documents that continues
to be the primary publication for Internet standards.  More recently, he
served as the Internet Engineering Task Force’s first security director.

Dr. Crocker sits on the ICANN board as a non-voting liaison representing
the Security and Stability Advisory Committee. Dr. Crocker is CEO and
co-founder of Shinkuro, Inc., a start-up company focused on dynamic
sharing of information across the Internet. He was on the board of the
Internet Society and was a volunteer Senior Counselor in the Office of
the Chief Technology Officer in the District of Columbia, focusing on
the District's creation of a new technology magnet high school.

Topic:  Building the Internet

The ARPANET was built in the late 1960s, grew during the 1970s and
1980s, and was the backbone network that led to the evolution of today's
Internet.  In this talk I'll sketch the formative period which led to
the creation of the RFCs and the founding of the Network Working Group
(precursor to today's Internet Engineering Task Force).  I'll try to
give the flavor of the technical and political landscape and share my
view of what we got right and where we missed the mark.

When:  Monday, 1 October 2007.  7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Where:

     George Washington University Campus
     Funger Hall, Lecture Room 108
     2201 G St. NW
     Washington, DC 20052
     (2 blocks from Foggy Bottom Metro)

This lecture is free and open to the public.  ACM membership is not
required to attend.

Light refreshments will be served before the lecture.

After the lecture, anyone who is interested in celebrating the rebirth
of the DC ACM chapter is welcome to join us for an after-lecture drink
at Kinkead's (on I street between 19th and 20th NW, facing Pennsylvania
Avenue).

Regards,

William Fielder
Chair, DC Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery