[Novalug] Re: What do you think of Bill Gate's "next bold move"?

Mon Sep 24 11:04:29 EDT 2007

On 9/24/07, David Zakar <david@zakar.com> wrote:
> Of course, fixing schools won't help if cultures and families are broken,
> but that's another problem on its own.

That and the underlying system is pretty broken too.  I was
volunteering at an Arlington high school with their Drama Department
during 2001-2003.  I gave them a hand designing and building sets,
teaching theatre tech skills, generally being an "adult in attendance"
(scary, huh?).  But in 2002, I was told that since I wasn't a parent,
I'd have to become a teachers' aide.  I checked the reqs which
included a handful of general ed credits and a "college-level algebra
class".  No problem, I have a BS in EE...  I have Calculus 1, 2, 3,
Differential Equations, Statistics... and oh yeah, a freakin'
engineering degree!

I submitted a transcript and was denied.  When I went in, I was asked:
"How did you manage to get a degree without taking any math classes?".

D. Keith Casey Jr.
CEO, CaseySoftware, LLC
http://CaseySoftware.com