[Novalug] Creeping Something

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Fri Sep 21 11:45:36 EDT 2007

A few weeks ago I mentioned a problem I was having mounting NFS shares. I
worked around that one by adding a permission for users to mount it so I
could do a manual mount after I logged on. I never did figure out what the
problem was.

Now this morning I ran into another mystery on the same computer. After I
logged in, I lost the keyboard. The mouse still worked. I tried various
combinations and found a pattern.

The keyboard works from the login screen (KDE), but does not work after I log
in, no matter whether it's as a user or root. I figure this can't be a
hardware problem so I figure I have to have a creeping software problem.

The computer is running OpenSUSE 10.2. It's been successively updated from
SUSE 9.1 in stages.

Time for a fresh install?

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.