[Novalug] OT: Career change from hands-on to less hands-on

Ben Creitz creitz@gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:07:21 EDT 2007

I am worried about the future prospect of transitioning into a role
which is a "step up", but which involved less hands-on work and more
project planning.  My fear is that I will immediately start to lose
the skills that I enjoy using, and therefore not only enjoy myself
less at work, but also lock myself in to management-type positions for
the remainder of my career.

I am interested in thoughts from anybody who has similar worries, or
from those who have made the leap and survived, changed for the
better, for the worse, etc.

Ben