[Novalug] IDE usage and putting comments in code

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Tue Sep 18 16:58:05 EDT 2007

Eric Helvey wrote:

Hi List!

> Being all crusty and stuff... I turn that new fangled junk off.  I'm
> afraid that if I use it, I'll lose the ability to code using (insert
> name of ye olde text editor here).  Eclipse is nice, but I don't want it
> to be a crutch...
>
> Eric
>
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 16:47 -0400, Doug Toppin wrote:
>> I'd finding myself picking up an interesting (and bad) habit in my
>> usage of the Eclipse IDE for java development.  Eclipse (like any
>> similar IDE) "helps" you by giving you a list of methods you can call
>> and attributes you can use as you are editing code.  In the old days
>> (ie pre-IDE) I would just slog though with a simple xterm and vim and
>> I would think in advance of what I was typing and put comments in as I
>> did it.  With Eclipse, I'm finding that I am putting many fewer
>> comments in as I type.  I think it's because I'm waiting to see what
>> it's going to "let" me do and as a result I don't always go back and
>> add comments.
>> Anyone else observed this and, if so, have opinions of whether or not
>> it's a trend (or is it just me)?
>>
>> Doug

I haven't been using netbeans for that long.  I too prefer basic vi, but
the project on which I am currently working is very large and using
netbeans is a requirement.   That said,  yes I myself am seeing similar
behavior regarding lack of comments when I use netbeans IDE.  Although I
was always awful with javadoc comments (/**   ....write here...  */); I
have tended to only use standard /*  ....  */   and the occasional //.

Peace!
megan