[Novalug] Linux and Printing (or print drivers configuration)

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Tue Sep 11 12:22:20 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 11:16 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> DonJr wrote:

> >> IMO there are two parts to this:  the printing system for linux, and the
> >> printer drivers and support.  I see those as to distinct pieces, and I
> >> think the former is fine, but the latter is hit or miss.  If you have a
> >> printer that's supported under Linux, you're fine.  If you just buy
> >> whatever's cheapest without checking compatibility first, you're hosed.
> >>

> > Well finding a printer that a driver (or a least a close match) doesn't
> > exist must be getting really hard by now. As I have over 3779 "ppd"s
> > currently installed and I don't even have all the possible printer
> > driver packages currently installed.
>
> And still nothing for almost half of all Lexmarks I bet ;)  Not that I'm
> blaming Linux for that.  I have an X4270 that doesn't work.

I don't know how many Lexmark models there are. <GRIN>
Although I do have 61 different ppd's for that make of printers all from
the package called 'foomatic-filters-ppds'.  Alast none of them have
X4270 as part of there supported model ID.

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and
enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not
asked to lend money.  -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"