[Novalug] They don't tell you ... (audio CD)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Sun Sep 9 11:27:14 EDT 2007

  	I haven't bothered much with sound and linux till now --
no call to; so there must be vast amounts of basic info I don't
know.

  	My wife replaced her car, and the new one has a CD player
-- which makes so much difference, down here where only one
station, sometimes, plays anything we want to hear -- that I had
one put into my ancient but excellent vehicle.

  	Then I did my celebrated imitation of a drunken sailor at
the CD store.

  	The storage devices tell you not to keep CDs in a car;
but the sensible thing, it seems to me, is to make two copies of
each, keep those in the cars till they bite the dust, and save
the originals to copy again at that point.

  	So I put one into machine #3, which immediately offered
to copy it. It made two files, the one I told it to (SibeliusI,
with 777.6MB, labelled "type unknown"; and SibeliusI.toc, with
1.2KB, labelled "Cdrdao toc file".

  	When I tried to burn a CD, machine #3 told me it had no
CD-write drive. Being lazy, I didn't get up and go move the
external USB drive onto it, but instead grabbed those files with
scp onto machine #2. Could that be the trouble??

  	When I try to burn a copy with any of the apps I've used
for data files (such as K3B and Brasero), I get either no error
message beyond "I can't," or one no better telling me I have to
change the file first 'manually' (With a microscope and a laser
pointer, frcrissake?), or this from Brasero :

mager (BraseroLocalImage) set_output
job (BraseroLocalImage) set_task
imager (BraseroLocalImage) get_track
job (BraseroLocalImage) set_task
Session starting:
  	flags			= 8535
  	media type	= 0
  	speed		= -3752
  	track type		= 8
  	track format	= 16
  	output		= none
Session error : the file SibeliusI.bin can't be opened (File not
found)

  	Am I doing something iggerunt??

--
Beartooth Squirrelslayer