[Ma-linux] Re: [Novalug] "aptitude" wants to remove kernel-image

Kevin Dwyer kevin@pheared.net
Sun Sep 2 12:13:38 EDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:37:18AM -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> >I would recommend that option, though others may differ.  If you start
> >over again with etch (4.0) and discipline yourself to use only
> >aptitude to upgrade packages, you'll probably find your system to be
> >much more stable.  I notice that my etch and later systems are much
> >more stable with respect to package configuration than my previous
> >system.
>
> ... or NEVER use aptitude.  I don't know, I hear people talking about
> using aptitude all the time, but I've never liked it.  Maybe I'm just
> not smart enough.  I've always stuck with apt-get and have never had
> these problems.  And if you want a cli interface that's a little easier
> and smarter than apt-get, then use wajig.  Here are some things it does:

I haven't used aptitude in a really long time, but I agree, apt-get
really was all I needed, and I couldn't figure out the interface to
aptitude.

The one GUI tool I've used that does impress me though is adept.

-kpd