[Novalug] [Installation of OpenSuse 10.3 beta 2] root and user setup failed

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Sat Sep 1 17:55:25 EDT 2007

Ok, I installed beta 2 SW, I know, but for the most part everything is fine.

However, doing the install, the Yast modules inst_root and inst_user failed to
run/start, which means I never got to create any accounts, so I have a system
I can't log into.

I figure that what I need to is boot up into either rescue mode, or onto the
install cd, and mount /dev/sda6 (which is where / is) so I can modify the
passwd file.  The problem is, I don't think the root account was setup.

At the prompt, I type "root" for the user, and immediately get a "Login
incorrect".  Typing anything at the prompt, gets same response.

How can I fix this?

TIA,

Jay Hart