[Novalug] Disk Errors?

Kevin Kitts kevin.kitts@gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:36:42 EDT 2007

I installed smartmontools and got the following error message when I ran
them:

slimserver:~ # smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.37 [x86_64-suse-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T
permissive' options.

The disk layout could not be more simple:

# df -k
/dev/sda2            311611284 206111868 105499416  67% /
tmpfs                   238604         0    238604   0% /dev/shm

Kevin