[Novalug] November Topic

circuit hijacker circuithijacker@yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 17:40:30 EDT 2007

                      How about a presentation about creating a Secure Portable Linux Distro?

I have created Guardian Angel Linux, a new Linux distro aimed at secure communications (VoIP, teleconferencing, IM, etc.), personal privacy and anonymity.

I would like to share the design of it, the issues, the choices, etc. when creating this distro. I am ALWAYS open to suggestions on improvements. I created this distro (and an entire company!) so people can all feel safer in an ever more complex on-line world.
     Since the initial release of G.A.L.  1.0 and 1.5, much work has gone into upgrading G.A.L. to use the latest technologies and an even more modern Linux Kernel. The first public G.A.L.-2.0 (General Audience) release will hopefully be available at the End of October. Release Candidates are available now.

We are in crunch time to finish our Website, Blog, Wiki, and Support and Discussion Forums together to engage the Fantastic Linux Community- please be patient. There are other cool things available on the SSI website for G.A.L., such as Travel Sized Hardware Kit (GALKit -everything you need for a portable secure experience!). For the first release, we are only selling G.A.L. with the Hardware Kit, so there are less compatibility problems, etc. For those of you who wish to still give it a whirl, we are making the DVD (fits on a miniDVDROM too!) and ISOs available (with no formal support- Forum support only). We want to put up an ISO somewhere besides our site... maybe ibiblio.org is a great choice?  If there is a system with DVDRom burning capability at the LUG, you could burn a copy right there- Bring a DVDRom!

We are still in the process of putting all the stuff together to make every thing available- source code, build scripts, etc.) Our philosophy is always to be completely open with the design, implementation, etc. of the supplied security tools and services.

A blurb about G.A.L....

Guardian Angel Linux enhances and protects your digital life style!
Visit http://silicon-safari.com/gal.php for more information!

What is Guardian Angel Linux?

Guardian Angel Linux is provides a portable (USB Flash Drive) full featured operating system with a complete set of Applications including an: office suite, web browser, email client, calendar/scheduler, instant messaging client, music and video player, anti-virus protection, VoIP clients, drawing applications, Personal Organizer Suite, Photo Viewing software all on a Portable USB Flash Drive.

To give you extra protection, G.A.L. also includes encryption applications and utilities that protects a person's personal data and communications and maintains their anonymity while surfing. In addition, a Virtual Machine and ProjectBlackDog support is supplied. This allows for maximum flexibility since all resources may not be available at all times.

Why use Guardian Angel Linux?

In today's world, Identity Theft, Government Domestic Spying and ISP monitoring, are very serious issues. When your data is freely accessible and sold to anyone who is willing to spend the money, Privacy is a REAL necessity. Anonymity is paramount to protect you from those who would steal your identity, misuse your personal data, your surfing habits, and your purchasing habits. In addition to criminal intentions, in the name, “law enforcement”, “anti-terrorism”, and similar excuses, your privacy is being exploited by many groups of people. DON'T STAND FOR IT!

Since Guardian Angel Linux is based on the outstanding Linux Live framework called SLAX (http://www.slax.org), it allows for drop-in upgrades and expansion. When new tools become available or new versions or fixes are needed, it is a snap to install them... even on a DVDRom!

gregory pryzby <greg@pryzby.org> wrote: Doug -- Eclipse
Rich -- digitally signing docs (in OO)
Ted -- resizing plugin for Gimp (?)

Other ideas, speakers or topics?

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
fingerprint: 8A1A DB90 869F 5DD1 D6E9 EEB6 C156 6B04 849F A86F