[Novalug] Free as in Speech? Free as in Beer? Decisions, decisions! ; -)

Kevin Cole dc.loco@gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 12:07:00 EDT 2007

Now you don't have to choose. ;-)

Whilst sitting in a restaurant waiting for food with nothing to read,
I spied this tale fit for Oktoberfest from the August/September print
issue of the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News (http://www.brewingnews.com/)

THE PEOPLE'S DOPPELBOCK: FLYING DOG PIONEERS OPEN SOURCE BEER
by Ken Weaver

For the last limited-edition beer, the Flying Dog Brewery is letting
its customers decide the ingredients.  The Denver-based brewery's Open
Source Beer Project, which started in May, has brought homebrewers and
beer aficionados together to offer up comments on a recipe through the
project's online forum accessible at http://www.opensourcebeerproject.com/

Head brewer Matt Brophy, who is overseeing the project, wrote "We are
encouraging input on every part of the recipe, down to what variety of
hops we should use, how much we should use and when we should add them."

That's something of an unorthodox approach, especially in an industry
where the largest companies are better known for influencing consumer
opinion than actually asking what it is their consumers would like to
drink.

The recipe started from a basic dopplebock profile, with overall
feedback in favor of adding an "American twist". While final decisions
on the beer (nicknamed the "Collaborator") were not yet available as
of press time, Brophy indicated he was open to the suggestion. German
Weyermann malts will be used exclusively, but high-alpha American
Warrior hops will be used for bittering and Mt. Hood for flavor. No
aroma hops will be added, in sticking with a traditional profile.

The collaborative brew will hit the shelves in October as part of
Flying Dog's Wild Dog series (a 5,000 bottle release, in corked 750-ml
containers), following in the footsteps of "Colorado Saison",
"Weizenbock", and "Barrel-Aged Gonzo Porter".  However, in keeping with
the spirit of the project, the final recipe was to be released to the
public and scaled down for homebrewers sometime in mid-July.

Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC
http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/