[Novalug] Shared hardware usage tracking

Matt Bidwell bidwell@dead-city.org
Mon Oct 1 15:11:18 EDT 2007

kkauffman@headfog.com wrote:
> Let me define the problem and hopefully someone knows of a potential OSS
> solution that can fit the need.  I'm pretty sure this isn't as simple as a
> straight forward as most asset management tools because I need to capture
> additional information around multiple deployments, however, I've been
> wrong before and I may be wrong again. :)
>
> Set the scene...
> Multiple pieces of hardware in a shared infrastructure.
> Multiple applications deployed to it.
>
> Question...
> Is there a piece of software that can act as a simple database to enter in
> information such as hostname, memory configuration plus the specifics
> about the different applications deployed to it (memory allocated, file
> system space allocated, etc)?
>
> Thanks for considering my request.

Are you looking to find out what you have in terms of hardware,
or are you looking to monitor the hardware you know you have?

If you know your hosts and are just trying to get live stats
on them, Nagios maybe a solution.  It can tell you remotely
the amount of disk space being used, the amount of memory being
used.  There's a lot of plugins for nagios, so you can monitor
a lot of different services.

Matt