[Novalug] Fwd: [Fwd: Gutsy slow boot]

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Thu Nov 29 10:15:48 EST 2007

greg pryzby wrote:

...reading the rest of my email in-box...

>> I've got the same thing happening on a desktop machine running
>> OpenSUSE 10.3.
>> If I swap monitors, the problem goes away. I can only conclude that it is
>> using a video mode during boot that the monitor doesn't handle.
>
> Excellent guess... I have Gutsy on a x60, Compaq desktop (1710?) and G3
> iBook (clamshell). All show the graphical boot with progress bar. I did
> have to futz with resolution on iBook and I use xdm (or gdm) even when I
> run KDE.

I concur on the excellent guess.  I tried the system in 800x600.  The
monitor responded to the entire boot process.   I moved it to 1600x1200.
  Then the monitor doesn't display until kde start.   Interesting side
point:  Before Gutsy Gibbon, I had Feisty Fawn.  It would never, never
remember my monitor settings.   If I did a reboot or log out the monitor
went back to 800x600.   If I merely locked the screen, no change.
Therefore each time I fully logged in, I had to reset the screen
resolution.   Gusty I do not have to do that, but the monitor does not
respond to the early boot process.

megam