[Novalug] small puzzle (was Re: Remembering the ol' days)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Sat Nov 24 14:05:57 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Beartooth wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Ed T. Toton III wrote:
>
>>> 	I downloaded it; many thanks!
>>>
>>> 	I don't know what means "set it executable."
>>
>> No problem, I just meant chmod it so you can run it.
>>
>> chmod then run, like this:
>>
>>  chmod u+x adventure
>>  ./adventure

 	I now have adventure on all machines, chmodded so that I
can launch it; and I've also added a user frc; but I've hit a
minor snag, and trying to read man chmod is for me an exercise in
futility if there ever was one.

 	If I do su - frc and then try, of course I get :

[frc@localhost ~]$ ./adventure
-bash: ./adventure: No such file or directory
[frc@localhost ~]$

 	So I try it through my own directory :

[frc@localhost ~]$ /home/btth/.adventure
-bash: /home/btth/.adventure: Permission denied
[frc@localhost ~]$

 	Can I set the permissions so that the lower command will
work -- without giving the kid the run of all my stuff?

 	Or do I have to become root on each machine, copy the
file on each from /home/btth to /home/frc, and then chown frc:frc
it? That seems like taking a baseball bat to an ant ...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User, with precious