[Novalug] OT: monitor distance

Ed T. Toton III bones@necrobones.net
Fri Nov 9 09:50:29 EST 2007

Thus spake Anthony Soucek:

> I definately get tired eyes by the end of the day, and one thing that
> helps me a lot is to have a flourescent daylight bulb light from an old
> fish tank behind my monitor and shining at the wall behind the monitor
> with no overhead light.  That way, the monitor isn't the brightest thing
> in the room, and there is zero glare.  It is important that you not be
> able to see the light bulb, only it's illumination of the wall beyond
> the monitor.

That's a very good idea. In my case, I disable te flourescent tubes
immediately above my cubicle, so that the illumination comes from the more
distant fixtures, plus a 60W incandescent that is aimed at the cube wall.
This keeps the harsh lighting off my worskspace and helps equalize the
brightness between the monitor and the surroundings.

That's a general rule of thumb for TV and home theaters as well-- the
average brightness of the screen and the area around it should be about
the same to minimize eye strain.

- Ed T. Toton III, RHCE --|-- www.necrobones.com -- ed.toton.org -
"If there is any principle of the Constitution that more
  imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the
  principle of free thought, not free thought for those who
  agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate."
 		-- Oliver Wendall Holmes