[Novalug] favorite new laptops?

Anthony Soucek monkeywrenchit@gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 23:04:18 EDT 2007

If you want to go cheap, I got an Acer 3860 and it runs great with
Ubuntu, you need a proprietary driver for the wireless card and there
is a minor config tweak to get the speakers  turned on, but I was
amazed how easy it was to install ubuntu 7.10 (<$400) 512 MB ram and a
70GB HD, Beautiful screen (the highly reflective kind) but short
battery life.

On 11/1/07, Beartooth <karhunhammas@lserv.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Dan Arico wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 31 October 2007 23:29, Julia Christianson wrote:
> >> Has anyone bought a laptop lately that "just works"?  I need
> >> to buy something to send to my sister in Oklahoma ... she's
> >> never run Linux for any period of time, but she knows she
> >> doesn't want Windows ;-). I'll probably put CentOS on it even
> >> though I know ubuntu would probably be better because (a) I'll
> >> be her sole support and I don't know ubuntu and (b) I know
> >> CentOS will be supported for some reasonable period of time.
> >
> > I bought a used Thinkpad T-30 and installed OpenSUSE.
> > Everything worked just fine, including wireless. The only
> > problem was a mostly used up battery, but I got a replacement
> > from Laptops for Less that works just fine.
>
>         I bought a reconditioned T-30 from IBM, which has run F7
> fine; but I have been wondering where to get a spare battery.
> Thanks for that tip!
>
> --
> Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeon On Line
> When seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Anthony Soucek