[Novalug] [OT] FiOS -- home-based servers?

gregory pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Sat May 26 07:19:25 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 07:38:54PM -0400, Terence Johnson wrote:
> I had FIOS hooked up this week, and am getting pretty good connect rates
> (5Mbps+ and ~2Mbps, depending on downloader website).  When I do a manual FTP
> from my Cox member.cox.net account), I get 4.64Mbps down, and 1.2Mbps up).
>
> Before signing the bottom line for FIOS, I asked the sales and "tech help"
> about blocked ports, esp 80.  They said that no inbound ports were blocked.  I
> wrote down their names too ;)  However, this is not true.  Bottom line, inbound
> port 80 is blocked, and outbound port25 is blocked.

I got 22 working after making changes on the Actiontec (hate it!). I
haven't tried 80 or 443 yet. No need for 25 since I use google for my
domain and I pop from them and use verizon for outbound.

> There are a couple more things worth mentioning.  There are lots of nice
> options inside the Actiontec router, however after many experiments and finally
> asking online "live-chat" tech-support, some of the features don't work
> (disabled for my service).  Since I signed up to the $99 package, I have DHCP
> service (not static IP, not sure what the price difference is, but more for
> sure).  Port forwarding does not work with DHCP service( i.e. $99 plan).  BUT,
> DMZ does work, and I verified this... Port 80 does not go through, but all the
> others seem to (ports 22 and 443 are the most important to me).

I have port forwarding working on the actiontec for 22 (atleast).

IF you get cat5 into the router instead of cable, you can use your own
router and things won't be blocked (or so I am told). Unfortunately,
the person installing had issues w the TV and I didn't push him to
'doing it right'. So I will change to cat5 later and use my router
instead.

> So, to summarize my FIOS service so far (DHCP option):
> xfer rates: 4.5-5Mbps Down, ~1.2-2Mbps up
> Blocked ports: inbound(80), outbound(25)
> Port forwarding does NOT work
> DMZ Works!  However, it is "unsupported"  (i.e. tech-support won't answer
> specific questions)
> Router has lots of goodies... filtering, parental control, transfer statistics.
> Haven't tested most yet.
> Every TV set-top box in house has an IP address
> To watch SD or HD at each TV, a set-top box will be needed.
> They re-use all coax for TV when possible. They will run new if you want them

LOL... I wanted them to reuse, but the wiring in my house is CRAP so
he had to run a cable outside the house and drill into the room to
install. he spent over an hour trying to reuse, but no overtime is
allowed, so out came the drill.

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
fingerprint: 8A1A DB90 869F 5DD1 D6E9 EEB6 C156 6B04 849F A86F