[Novalug] Sun rocket for phone #, & Ethernet to POTS connectivity.

Ross Patterson RossPatterson@Comcast.Net
Sun May 20 00:41:45 EDT 2007

At 14:34 5/19/2007, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>I used to have Sun Rocket. They were pretty good, but recently
>started going downhill.

Can't say as I agree.  I've had SunRocket for about two years now and
it's as good as ever.  (looking for some wood to know on)

>I recently converted to Comcast's Triple Play. That gives you Cable,
>Internet, and Phone for $33 each, or a total of $99.

Which is a promo rate, if I've read the mailings correctly (I get
several every month!).

>  Yes, this is twice SR's rate,

The cheapest TV and Internet combo I could find from Comcast here in
Reston comes out to $60.37 with all the taxes thrown in - it's
officially $14.95 for the TV and $42.95 for the net.  At $199/year,
SunRocket comes to $16.58 a month ($15.31 a month if you renew a
little early, as they throw in an extra month), so yeah, that's about
half the Comcast difference, at least during the promo period.  After
that, it's anybody's guess.

>To be fair, SR depends on the mercy of Comcast (or other) cable for
>their service while Comcast can recognize and prioritize its own packets.

I haven't seen or heard any evidence that Comcast is doing that
(yet), but the technology certainly exists.

>OTOH, the way that cable rates have risen, that may not be a bad thing.

My $60.37 cable bill has been nearly flat for years.  It varies a bit
when they adjust rates, but never more than a couple of bucks.

Ross