[Novalug] Using the GPL on network service protocols?

Ross Patterson RossPatterson@Comcast.Net
Thu May 17 21:24:39 EDT 2007

At 08:46 5/17/2007, Ben Creitz wrote:
>On 5/16/07, Kevin Dwyer <kevin@pheared.net> wrote:
>>On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:47:55AM +0900, Demetrius Gallitzin wrote:
>> > Usually I see the GPL applied to application and OS software.  Is
>> > there a reason the GPL isn't used on things like network service
>> > protocols?
>>
>>The GPL is a license to use a copyrighted work.  You can't copyright a
>>protocol.  You could copyright the document that describes the protocol,
>>but that doesn't stop someone from implementing it.
>
>Couldn't somebody come up with a protocol and patent (not copyright)
>it--the same way that they could patent a process or a mechanism?

Sure - lots of commonly used network protocols are encumbered by
patents.  Depending on the standardization vehicle, there may be a
requirement placed on the patent owner to make it freely available,
or more likely to license it without prejudice and for reasonable cost.

Ross