[Novalug] 32-bit || 64-bit

Subba Rao castellan2004-novalug@yahoo.com
Wed May 16 18:33:00 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

I purchased a laptop (used) with the following processor on it:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

The system had 32-bit Vista on it.  Now I want to install Linux on it.  I don't know the big difference in performance of a 32-bit vs 64-bit OS.  What I know is that you could have more acres of memory on 64-bit system.

Before I download Linux, is this processor a 32-bit OR 64-bit processor?  The tech support (Dell) person says that Intel processors (for laptops) have 64-bit emulator....blah, blah, blah.  Like I am not confused enough by now...:-)

If there is any hardware geek (positive compliment) here, could you please enlighten the absolute mortals about the processors?  Particularly the one I have now.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Subbarao