[Novalug] Microsoft demands royalties for open-source software

Ross Patterson RossPatterson@Comcast.Net
Tue May 15 08:33:01 EDT 2007

At 00:17 5/15/2007, Herminio Hernandez wrote:
>Apple is "trying" to be open source friendly.

Sure, this week.  We should never forget that Apple started a lot of
this intellectual property mess.  Somewhere I've still got a button
with the seven-color Apple logo and a nasty-looking snake coming out
of the bite, captioned "Keep your lawyers off my computer".  I'm
pretty sure it was produced by the League for Programming Freedom, a
short-lived adjunct to the Free Software Foundation.  The LPF was
focused on tearing down the legal protections surrounding software,
most especially patents.

>In OS X you can access the
>UNIX OS that OS X is loaded on top of. Plus at the apple website you can
>download alod GNU apps that are can be run on OS X.

Well, that's nice, but it doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft's patents.

Ross