[Novalug] Ubuntu and printing

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Fri May 11 00:07:57 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 22:17 -0400, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, donjr wrote:
>
> d >> Which log do I look in?
> d >
> d >I'd start with: /var/log/cups/access_log,error_log,page_log  and then
> d >any of the log files in /var/log/* .
> d >
> d >What does the following command return:
> d >  $  lpstat -a -W all
>

> LaserJet-5MP-Postscript-(recommended) accepting requests since Thu 10 May
> 2007 09:10:40 PM EDT

OK, then CUPS knows about the printer.

> d >Also how much free space do you have:
> d >  $  df -h /var/spool/cups/
> /dev/hda5             3.4G  2.7G  543M  84% /
>
> do you think this is too little space in var?
> one of the things i did when i reinstalled ubuntu was to shrink my home
> partition and make a new  / partition

Yes I'd say that may be getting a little close.
Although my desktop reports:
 /dev/hda5             6.5G  4.8G  1.4G  78% /

I also use the /{root} and /home{home} combination.

> d >How is the printer connected to the computer USB, parallel or serial?
> d >Is the kernel driver loaded?
> d >
>
> parallel
>
> and when the system is booted into amithlon i can get stuff to the
> printer by doing print "file" par:
>
> kernel driver - this may be the thing. how do i tell of the kernel
> driver is loaded.

Do:
$ lsmod | grep lp

And you should get something like:
  lp                     12612  0
  parport                39560  3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc

{note: The numbers may all be different, as they depend on kernel
version and other factors.}