[Novalug] FiOS Qs

Kurt Yoder ktynovalug@yoderhome.com
Thu May 10 21:54:40 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 6:29 PM, gregory pryzby wrote:

> Who out there has the triple play for FiOS? (internet, phone, tv)
>
> I am interested if ssh is open (inbound) and how happy you are...

I have their TV/internet. When I signed up around a year ago, I got
the basic consumer-level package with the assurances of the sales
person that no in-bound ports were blocked. This was a total crock,
since *every* inbound port was blocked. They conveniently tore out my
copper line while installing FIOS so that I was unable to go back to
my previous DSL service.

I then went through the rigamarole and days-long outage to get it
switched to the basic business-level package (30$/month more) on the
assurance that no inbound ports were blocked. Again, this was a
crock, as inbound port 80 was still blocked. Luckily, this was the
only blocked inbound port. I'm still using that service today along
with a workaround so I can still serve web pages to the internet.

All in all, I found Verizon as infuriating as ever to deal with.
Unfortunately, they are the only provider that offers such a large
amount of bandwidth.

So if you need inbound ssh, it should work as long as you get at
least the business "basic" service.

--

Kurt Yoder
http://yoderhome.com