[Novalug] reverse linux question -- GRUB or LILO installed?

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Sun May 6 00:34:32 EDT 2007

With a little LVM magic and a smart bootloader, I'll bet you could
come up a way to fit even more OSes on a single disk.

jf

On May 5, 2007, at 9:49 PM, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:

> Not me. Every disk I used is a triskadeca-boot system. Linux gives
> you 15 partitions, minus one extended and one for swap leaves you
> with 13 bootable partitions. Hmmm, maybe only 12, as a FAT32
> partition is needed as a data shuttle (hmmm, maybe not...a USB
> Flash drive will do) between them.
>
> There are hundreds of Linux, BSD, Solaris, and even Windows. Try
> them all!
>
> JIM
>
> P.S. But you are correct. Most of the time we do run the same OS.
> Still, variety is the spice of life, and at least I stand the
> chance of switching every so often. And the more you design your
> system so that you CAN switch, the easier it becomes.
>
> P.P.S. I also have two disks in all my systems.
>
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>>>>

>>>     I gave up on dual-boots years ago. Too much trouble for too
>>> little gain. I sometimes instead put two HDD's in a single
>>> machine, one HDD each for XP and Linux.
>>>

>> This has come up before and I agree with this.  Any time someone
>> has a dual boot system, they use one of the systems at least 90%
>> of the time.  I would recommend just deciding which one you really
>> want to use.

John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m