[Novalug] GFS?

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Wed May 2 16:42:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 16:13 -0400, Nick Danger wrote:

> I think I misunderstood the purpose of GFS :-) What Im looking for is
> to have two geographically separated NAS units. NAS units are cheap in
> single form, 3 terrabytes for less then 10grand.  The question is, how
> can I mirror the two file systems for failover? I know how to do it at
> the application/network level, just not at the data/FS level.  I kept
> thinking GFS but that seems more like making lots of disks appear as
> one, not for mirroring. Unless Im reading it wrong.
>
> So, pointers? Links? Case studies? I'll summarize what I find and send
> it back out to the list.

If the NAS boxes support iSCSI, you can set up a software RAID1 with
them.  Make NAS1 and NAS2 two iSCSI targets that map to /dev/sda
and /dev/sdb, then use md.conf to connect them. That said, I have no
idea how fault-tolerant software RAID is, nor how much the lag between
the two would affect performance on a day-to-day basis.

jf
--
John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>