[Novalug] NOVALUG meets Saturday: MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL

gregory pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Wed May 2 06:47:25 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 12:04:51AM -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> Kevin Chin wrote:
> >Well, this may be obvious... but I've heard annecdotally that MySQL and
> >Postgres are "missing" some more advanced database features that
> >proprietary DB's like Oracle have.  Maybe it's FUD, maybe it's fact.  Is
> >this true?  Isn't a database, just a database?  What are some of the
> >major differences?  Better yet, what's an example/use case of when you
> >might prefer one DB over another?
>
> Great subject. Personally I'm interested in what features are now
> available on the open source systems.
>
> Without taking too much advantage on the discussion. Comparing a 18
> wheeler with a small '92 ford "pick me up" can of course be done. And
> they can both travel from A to B. However, the difference is all in what
> you need to haul. If your load is small then why go for the full
> 18-wheeler which will set you back a good fortune when the '92 ford
> "pick me up" can get had for very little money??

Are you saying MySQL is a 92 Ford? :)

> The trick is in the balance.
>
> Btw. I'm going to get a handful or more CD's made with Oracle's FREE (as
> in beer) XE version. I'm going to have to read up on it, cause I've not
> really used it; but if anyone is interested I'll have it at the meeting.
> Unfortunately, Oracle only distributes the files in RPM format (and DEP)
> so you'll need a redhat/fedora like distribution to install it.

Should install on SUSE and alien should get it on Ubuntu ;)

> >If you have a large data set and need to have fast write capabilities to
> >update the data, would one DB have an advantage over another (maybe
> >because of design or optimization)?
>
> hehe - good discussion. I see foundation for a "fist fight" ;)

1) What is $RDBMS good for?
2) What is $RDBMS strongest feature?
3) Where is $RDBMS weak?
4) How do I backup $RDBMS?
5) Can I 'cluster' $RDBMS?
6) What tools are available to manage and monitor $RDBMS?
7) What tools are available to assist building applicaitons?
8) Does $RDBMS plugin to LAMP, RoR, other 'web' system?

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
fingerprint: 8A1A DB90 869F 5DD1 D6E9 EEB6 C156 6B04 849F A86F