[Novalug] Oh Crap -- DSL ISP s generally

Craig Pennington cpenning@gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:09:43 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:

> Quoting Kevin Dwyer <kevin@pheared.net>:
>
> > FIOS mainly.  Verizon is not required to share fiber and wants to ditch
> > the copper wherever it can.  "Business" FIOS is comparable in price to
> > Speakeasy's fastest offering of the same caliber, but that level of FIOS
> > is 2.5 times faster whereas Speakeasy is maxed out.  Speakeasy is going
> > to be forced to lower the price and/or offer something better and I
> > wonder which they are able to do.  This is the squeeze I'm talking
> > about.
>
> Ooooh...
>
> So squeezed out because teh replacements are getting better and they cant
> compete. For some reason I was thinking you meant squeeze like the kind
> Vonage
> is feeling right now :-)

Squeezed as in they can't run needed infrastructure. Try setting up a
business that provides a neighborhood wired network -- you will be sued (by
the LEC and/or the cable company) so quickly that it will make your head
spin. Tiered networking business models rely on the fact that a very few
companies can get a wire into your neighborhood, otherwise the content
consumers that the big home ISPs are trying to sell to the content providers
could avoid the degradation of service that is the sine qua non of the
tiered network leverage against content providers.

That said, I think that wireless has the potential to undermine that
infrastructure barrier to entry. At least until VeriziCasT&T tells the FCC
to regulate anyone providing wireless access to more than one residence.

Cheers,
  Craig

--
Corollary to Clarke's Third Law:
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently