[Novalug] Oh Crap -- DSL ISP s generally

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Wed Mar 28 14:57:00 EDT 2007

Kevin Dwyer wrote:
> Sadly, the alternative companies are going to be squeezed real soon now
> and will probably fail to be viable alternatives for the long term.  A
> fact of life, but probably a bad thing for consumers.  It's not going to
> be a monopoly by the way, more like a duopoly.

I have an alternative home grade ADSL provider with static IP. Sure I
pay more then the AT/T $14.95 or whatever it is (twice as much actually)
but I get static ip and no inbound filtering. This company in particular
has done nothing get better over time. Who is squeezing them? As long as
ILECs have to offer resale of their ADSL service, then this will always
be an option.

Now people willing to pay for it, that I can't say, I just can say that
I am willing to pay slightly more for my service and still remain 'home'
grade. I see no benefit to going to 'business' class of the lesser
networking options at my house.

-Nick