[Novalug] Laptops -thinkpads

b b linux_author@yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 13:08:33 EDT 2007

--- Matt Bidwell <bidwell@dead-city.org> wrote:

[snip]

> and the ATI
> fglrx driver.  This is assuming you have
> the Atheros wireless card and the firegl video
> card.  Also, don't get the fgrlx rpm, it doesn't
> work, get
> ati-driver-installer-8.34.8-x86.x86_64.run.

if you peruse the Ubuntu forums you'll find that ATI's
cards and drivers are causing much consternation and
frustration... having just gone through this evolution
on my HP L2000 notebook - which, despite installing
ATI's drivers, still reports abysmal fps
characteristics, i'd say AVOID any notebook w/ATI
graphics adapters...

JMHO and YMMV... in my case (Ubutunu 6.10), everything
now works wonderfully on the HP L2000... installing
the ATI video driver was finally (and easily)
accomplished by using Alberto Milone's Envy python
script (gui/text-based 'net install):

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

i *highly* recommend this utility if you use a
dpkg-based distro w/an Nvidia or ATI graphics
adapter...