[Novalug] Good fast-track PHP book/training?

Tue Mar 20 16:56:56 EDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Joel Fouse <joel@fouse.net> wrote:
> To clarify -- what I'm NOT looking for is a cereal box certification so
> I can put it on my resume and get a job in PHP.  I simply (ha!) want to
> have it as another tool in my toolbox as needs arise, both
> professionally and personally.  I'm open to recommendations for anything
> from quality books to offsite training (local, preferably).

Well, first of all, you might check out the local DCPHP users' group.
We meet in DC on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and have a mailing
list hosted by the wonderful people at Tux:  dcphp-dev@calypso.tux.org
(thanks Greg, Pete, et al!)

For books, I happen to like the PHP Phrasebook (Christian Wenz).  It's
great if you just want to get up to speed on syntax but it will *not*
teach you concepts.  For concepts, I'd suggest PHP Power Programming
(Gutmans, Rethans, etc) or anything of O'Reilly's
Learning/Programming/Cookbook line.  Once you get past the basics, PHP
5 In Practice (White and another guy) is *fantastic* for additional
brainteasers and development.

YMMV,
keith

--