[Novalug] Good fast-track PHP book/training?

Joel Fouse joel@fouse.net
Tue Mar 20 16:04:38 EDT 2007

I'm looking for a way to get up to speed on PHP fairly quickly (and a
way that incorporates MySQL would be a bonus).  I've been doing dynamic
web development in one environment or another for the past eight years,
against both Oracle and SQL Server, with a smattering of Oracle DBA and
Solaris/Linux system admin thrown in here and there.  I know standard
programming concepts, OOP concepts, and SQL/DB admin concepts enough
(and I know where the PHP and MySQL online references are :P) to pick up
existing PHP code and make minor modifications with little trouble.
What I'm looking for is a way to get a firm enough grasp on the language
(syntax, interaction between pieces, etc.) and the system (architecture,
best practices, performance, security, etc.) to either more extensively
modify existing applications or feel comfortable creating new ones.

To clarify -- what I'm NOT looking for is a cereal box certification so
I can put it on my resume and get a job in PHP.  I simply (ha!) want to
have it as another tool in my toolbox as needs arise, both
professionally and personally.  I'm open to recommendations for anything
from quality books to offsite training (local, preferably).

Any thoughts?

- Joel