[Novalug] Changing DHCP server address? (fwd)

Ben Creitz creitz@gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:02:15 EDT 2007

> From: Donald Tidrow <dtidrow@patriot.net>

> Here's what I want to do - I want to be able to 'ifdown eth0' my laptop
> here at work, suspend the laptop, then do 'ifup eth0' at home.  Currently
> when I try this, apparently dhclient is trying to access the dhcp server
> at the other location - at work, dhclient is trying to access the dhcp
> server at 192.168.1.2 (my home router/firewall), and I haven't figured out
> how to change this without rebooting.  I'm sure there's a simple way to do
> this with either a config file tweak, command-line command or
u> network-script mod, I just haven't found it yet.  Any ideas?

When you get home, restart the "networking service" on your distro,
i.e. RH/Fedora:

  /etc/init.d/network restart

.. or something close to that.  In RH/Fedora you can use the alias
"service" instead of /etc/init.d/.  The script will take care of the
ifconfig and dhclient stuff.

-Ben