[Novalug] RHEL 5?

David A. Cafaro dac@cafaro.net
Mon Mar 19 09:24:01 EDT 2007

I haven't installed RHEL5 final yet, but have been actively using RHEL
beta 2 on a production test server (yes I know, beta software on
production, but it's a test server that I've been using to prep for
migrating the network to RHEL5 final, which will now be soon).

Anyways, so far I love it as a server OS.  Much MUCH better support for
500+GB SATA drives.  The gui and tools are a step up from what came with
RHEL4.  It also supports SELinux binary modules, which will make
creating custom SELinux Policies and packaging them with applications
much easier.  Also I love the fact the Tomcat now comes standard as that
is the platform we use to build our webapps.  One less thing I have to
worry about installing and updating myself.  Overall I'm very pleased
with it.  I'm assuming that RHEL5 final should have many if not all the
same features and packages that beta2 had.

I have not tested it as a desktop OS as I tend to just use Fedora for
that (I prefer being a tad more cutting edge on my workstation).

Cheers,
David

--

David Cafaro <dac@cafaro.net>