[Novalug] Loaded question about SANs, but here goes

Michael Stone mstone@mathom.us
Mon Mar 19 08:16:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:48:34AM -0400, Brian Steisslinger wrote:
>I wouldn't call them niches more mainstream (clustering, hot-split mirrors,
>replication) solutions in a modern day enterprise.

The replication et al is vulnerable to replacement at a higher level.
IOW, they can be done by the SAN, but there's no essential reason for
them to be done there. The only real part of a traditional SAN that
really needs the SAN are clustered filesystems--and that's definately a
niche in the overall storage market.

>Bottom line ZFS is a file system not a shared storage solution...

Pretty sure I didn't say it was...

Mike Stone