[Novalug] Loaded question about SANs, but here goes

Brian Little winzig@comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 19:35:59 EDT 2007

Rich Goodwin wrote:
> From an enterprise storage perspective, the names I am most familiar
> with are EMC, Hitachi and Sun.  These support all Winderz and *nix
> varieties.  They all support the numbers you are talking about.  You
> will be looking at connecting via some form of fiber - likely via either
> GigE NICs or Fibre Channel.

BTW, Dell resells EMC SAN HW however I've had issues in the past with
the support aspect because of the way the HW was purchased.  I've took
the training 2 yrs ago on the EMC Clarion units after I already had my
fingers into it.  It was some good training.

I currently have a HP EVA 5000 at work now that has about 7Tb.  This is
a little more interesting in how the LUN's get created and then
assigned.  I still don't fully understand do to lack of time on it.

I haven't looked at the SUN solutions in a few years.  It would be
interesting to compare several of the vendors solution.  HW changes too
much anymore too quickly for me.

Brian