[Novalug] Missed "ksh" feature in bash

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Mar 12 13:44:15 EDT 2007

donjr wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 13:06 -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
>> In the days of RS6000 and ksh, I used a feature which made life really
>> easy - and I haven't been able to find it in bash.
>
> Is you like ksh then why not just use ksh?
> I have pdksh{Public domain Korn shell} installed, although I prefer
> bash.

True - but for several reasons. ksh is not installed by default, and
hence isn't always available on client systems. And other features of
bash is much more preferable over ksh.

> Have you looked at the bash complete command or even
> possible /etc/bash_complete {where the include file is normally
> installed by default}?

Nope; never heard of it. I'll give it a look.

> Between it and the readline lib feature something close to that effect
> should be possible to configure/program in.

Hmm, actually it's simpler than that. It's a simple regex on $PWD before
cd. I prolly could make a "cdd" command or something like that, which
would simply do what I was used to.

Regards
    Peter Larsen