[Novalug] Missed "ksh" feature in bash

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Mon Mar 12 13:31:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 13:06 -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> In the days of RS6000 and ksh, I used a feature which made life really
> easy - and I haven't been able to find it in bash.

Is you like ksh then why not just use ksh?
I have pdksh{Public domain Korn shell} installed, although I prefer
bash.

> In my work  (with Oracle) I find myself with multiple mount-points that
> all start with /u01 /u02 /u03 etc. and the structure under those are
> almost 100% the same. On ksh, I was able to switch from one mount point
> to another by simple giving "cd" two argument - the pattern to match and
> the pattern to replace with:
>
> So if my PWD was /u01/oradata/abc  and I wrote "cd u01 u02" my PWD would
> change to /u02/oradata/abc.
>
> Is there such a feature in bash??? Some of my paths are pretty long and
> I'm getting tired of typing/tabbing my way through all the time.
>
> Regards
>    Peter Larsen

Have you looked at the bash complete command or even
possible /etc/bash_complete {where the include file is normally
installed by default}?

Between it and the readline lib feature something close to that effect
should be possible to configure/program in.

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
You learn to write as if to someone else because NEXT YEAR YOU WILL BE
"SOMEONE ELSE."