[Novalug] Don't forget /etc/localtime

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Sun Mar 11 11:06:46 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 09:28 -0500, Clif Flynt wrote:
> Instructions for updating daylight savings on older systems
> mention zic, but don't mention updating /etc/localtime.
>
> My SuSE 9.3 and FC 1 systems cache the local time here, and
> won't show the correct time on the xclock or date until this is
> fixed:
>
> cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern /etc/localtime
>
> Clif

Because some or maybe even most new systems use:
  a symbolic link as in:
    ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern /etc/localtime

So make sure what is at /etc/localtime before you change it.

Four had a symbolic link and only one had a copy of the file.

two(2) where links to: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
And two(2) where to:   /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

Same basic data set, just a different name.

As for a Live CD Rescue Is Possible(RIP), I will have to update and remaster.

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
You're almost as happy as you think you are.