[Novalug] sed syntax question

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Fri Mar 9 19:39:17 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 16:09 -0500, rosejw@cox.net wrote:
> If your end goal is to have a perl script, just use perl for the whole
> thing.  There is no need to use sed or any other UNIX utility.
>
> Attached is your script modified slightly to isolate the number of
> bytes on the line and put it on a single line.
>
> You can modify from here to do whatever it is you need.

Did you even try your "Attached is your script modified slightly"
against the sample input file 'ftp2u.html' that Megan sent with her
message?

On my system when I run it, it copies the file given as parameter 1 to
the name given as parameter 2 and adds a few extra bytes somewhere along
the process. Note the output is still in ONE very long line and NO total
is ever given.

Using 'perl' to do the "whole" job sounds like a very good idea,
it would just take more code then you provided.

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
Your best consolation is the hope that the things you failed to get
weren't really worth having.